Thursday 23 May 2013

Baler: Surfing 101

May 12, 2013 - Baler ain't complete without riding the waves! 


I got up early. We had breakfast at Bay's Inn. They offer a weekend buffet breakfast at P170/person. What I like in the places we eat is they give us an enticing view of the sea and the surfers.

Dex changed his mind. He volunteered to take pictures of me instead while I surf. I agreed and got even more excited! The thought of having lots of pictures during my first surfing rev up the excitement! Lalalalaaa... My inner self is dancing, getting ready for the i-do-not-know-what-is-going-to-happen! I am not a swimmer and when the waters go over me, I pinch my nose. Oh! I breathe underwater! Swear! Haha!

Excited and scared and ... :D





It is my first time and i do not know how to swim. I don't care! I want the experience! We went to the surf shop and inquired. They charge P350/hour/person. The rate is inclusive of a brief lecture,
trainer and surf board.


Surfing 101 lecture :)
While the boys orient me with the activity, someone changed his mind!

The self-proclaimed Pro    the forever Beginner 

THE SURF BOARD. It consists of the following: nose (upper), rail (the sides of the board), tail that part buried on the sand), fins (at the bottom of the board near the tail), deck (where surfers stand), bottom (very self explanatory :D). There is also a leash. It is worn at the ankle so that when the surfer drops, the surf board won't go far. It doesn't hurt. You'll barely feel it. :)

SURFING POSITIONS. We lie face down (head by the nose and feet by the tail) balancing the board over the water with hands on the rail.

When the trainer shouts "READY", palms by the chest, against the surf board (as if you're gonna do a push-up) and right foot (or whichever you prefer) steps forward beside the left knee (imagine your legs forming number 4).

Then once pushed into the waves, trainer cheers "Up! Up! Up!" this time, the arms and folded knees push the body up as the left foot steps forward just below the chest, hands off the board, feet apart, bend and balance.

Easy, isn't it? It is! I was just too scared. I was able to stand thrice (in one hour!), one of which is a long ride (until the shore) *wink* ;) I just knelt during the rest of the attempts! Fulfilling on my part and a bit frustrating for my trainer. I promised to do better next time ;)

While I struggle riding the waves, Dex, the man who's scared to surf, is having his long rides. He even requested for an extension! A request that was denied due to lack of time.

A repeat is sure to happen, soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Batanes Trip: The Engagement

We woke up to the flapping of the tent. Our bright yellow shelter braved the winds of Itbayat in the morning of April 15, 2014. Tito Dan...