Wednesday 27 May 2015

Batanes Trip: The Engagement

We woke up to the flapping of the tent. Our bright yellow shelter braved the winds of Itbayat in the morning of April 15, 2014.

Tito Danding's Bukid and the Yellow Tent
Tito Danding's bukid is just perfect! Wide green lawn and vast sight of hills refreshed our Tuesday morning. We had coffee paired with native eggs for breakfast.

While we pack our things, Dex suggested that I wear a dress and that we are going back to the port we have been a day before. I said NO to both. First, it was windy and cold and a bareback dress will do no good. Second, it will cost us Php200 for a roundtrip tricycle ride to that one location where we have already been.

Minutes after, he brought the suggestion back. I was still hesitant but thought of just giving in. Then I gave in, except for the dress thing. It is really cold!

I was passive the whole time, from the bukid until we arrived at the Port of Valanga. Dex said he would like a picture by the cliff and that I look for the angle I think is beautiful. I pointed at the corner of the port, the cliffs as background with a chance of a dramatic splash of the sea.

I was a little impatient watching Dex walk back and forth to the DSLR camera then to the GoPro which he inserted in between the rocks. Surprisingly, I did not snap. Instead, I devoted my "waiting time" breathing fresh air.

Then Dex came to me. I posed for the camera. He posed with me. He turned me towards him, kissed my forehead, held my hand and whispered "I wanna grow old with you, honey..."

I smiled and said I want the same.

The Proposal at the Port of Valanga by the cliff of Itbayat, Batanes
All of a sudden, I was oblivious of the things around me. The waters have gone still; the wind ceased to blow; there were no rustles anymore. The world stopped. Everything in my peripherals has gone dim and before me is a man on his knees holding up a diamond ring.

I saw his lips move but I did not hear anything. I kept moving but I cannot feel anything.

"Kuwaa na.. baad mahulog.." (Get it. It might fall.) were the words that brought me back to my senses. I felt my lungs work again. I nodded, got the ring and asked him to slip it on my finger.

"We're engaged! We're getting married! He's mine for the rest of my life!" went over and over again on my mind. My heart was pounding hard and fast. I cannot believe this day has arrived.

I am happy. I am filled with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Batanes Trip: The Engagement

We woke up to the flapping of the tent. Our bright yellow shelter braved the winds of Itbayat in the morning of April 15, 2014. Tito Dan...